Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Vine Borer Damage Update

I didn't get to spend much time with my plants yesterday evening, but this morning when I looked at them, it seems that only one whole vine is dead. I'll remove it this evening. One vine that suffered significant damage to the base seems to be fine, but I want to do something to cover the injured part. Perhaps wrap it with peat moss and some nylon??? The vine with my biggest pumpkin baby must have taken root at the joint that I covered with soil. The end where the pumpkin is, looks much better. The damaged middle section looks like it will eventually die and I'll need to remove it and the base of the vine looks healthy. The damage in the white/green pumpkin patch was minimal and it seems that the vines are fully recovered.

This evening I'll look around some more to make sure that there aren't any more worms. I'll remove and repair what needs it and I'll spray the pesticides again. I really hate using chemicals, but I really don't want to lose my vines.

I'm currently looking into floating row covers for my gardens:
http://gurneys.com/product.asp?pn=2005&sid=0514658&gclid=CIGFkYP536gCFRJ1gwodh30b_A

Many sites that discuss vine borers mention these things as a great prevention method. The only draw back is that one needs to hand pollinate their crops (because no insects can get in), which for me, isn't an issue since hand pollinating anyway. If this keeps the bugs out, I'm all for it.

On another note, I get my new camera either today or tomorrow. I'll be able to take pictures and post them soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment