Monday, September 27, 2010

Tombstone Paint




I've recently looked into Drylock for painting my tombstones. I've seen other home haunters use it on their stones and monuments with beautiful results, so I decided to look for it this weekend. Drylock, for anyone who doesn't know, seems to be used in masonry work for patching things. In any case, it's basically latex paint with sand in it, which gives it the apprearance of cement when applied to something. I found it at Homedepot and couldn't bring myself to pay $25.00 a gallon for it... I'm a cheap-o, what can I say? ;) So, I got some play sand from my mom, took some white and black latex paint that I had from last year, mixed it all together and VOILA! I created my own version of drylock. A few coats running the paint brush in vertical then horizontal directions give the ordinary foam stone a very convincing look! I'm very excited about this new found medium.

Oh and as a side note, plastic Ovaltine container with the screw on lid makes for perfect paint storage of homemade drylock =)



5 comments:

  1. Necessity is the mother of invention. Thanx for sharing this great tip! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will it work in an airbrush?

    Lazarus Lupin
    http://strangespanner.blogspot.com/
    art and review

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lazarus, I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't. The sand would clog the airbrush gun.

    ReplyDelete