Thursday, September 15, 2011

Master Gracey Laid to Rest...

Master Gracey will finally take up residency in my graveyard :)  I have always been fascinated by Disney World's Haunted Mansion.  It's mysterious and quirky and has fun little surprises... just like Halloween.  It's the perfect marriage of creepy and fun that I think makes this attraction so popular.


The epitaphs on the tombstones always stuck with me.  As a kid, I remember making a tombstone that said, "Here lies good ol' Fred, a great big rock fell on his head". 

Lately, I've had Master Gracey's epitaph stuck in my head, so I figured, why not pay my respects to the lovely Haunted Mansion?

For the design, I've stuck with the shape of the original one.  The fonts are not exact, but they are about as close as I could get.  I went so far as to print out the "farewell" from an actual picture of the original tombstone, because I couldn't find a script font that looked very much like the one that was used.


I've changed it by adding some art work.  I think that any HM fan will recognize the details are those of the infamous HM wall paper.  I wanted to incorporate as much of the HM likeness into the tombstone as I could, thus the wallpaper details.

It's a bit ambitious, since it will require a good bit of carving, but I know that it will be well worth it when it's complete :)

Carving begins this weekend!

4 comments:

  1. You got me so curious about the Haunted Mansion I went online to find a few YouTube videos. Fabulous place! The tombstones in the front area look amazing and the book crypt wall is a great idea (the guy I watched had solved it). Your tombstone looks like it would fit right in! Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous idea!! Personally, I think you improved on the original with the added wallpaper detail. Can't wait to see the finished product!

    On the theme, I just picked up a copy of the ride's soundtrack for this year's haunt- my nod to HM goodness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool idea for a Halloween decoration! I can't wait to see your final product. The Haunted Mansion was one my favorite rides at Disney World. (The other one was the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.) I'm sure the HM has changed a lot since I was there 20 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Marilyn - I'm glad that I made you curious :) The HM is so much fun. It's always the first ride that I go on every time I visit Disney :) It's a family tradition :)

    @Spookworks - Thank u so much for the kind words :) It's always a little scary changing something that people are so familiar with. I'm so glad that you like the changes :) Oh and enjoy your soundtrack! I have it also, and I love it!

    @ JustineI love Pirates too :) HM has changed a bit, just over the past 4 years Disney has done 2 major refurbishments. Both are really nice updates :) You have to go see it if you get a chance, especially in October ;)

    @ Madame Jen - Thank you :) I hope my TOT's enjoy it too :)

    ReplyDelete